By Gerald D. Mahan
Covering the basics in addition to many unique issues of present curiosity, this is often the main concise, up to date, and available graduate-level textbook on quantum mechanics to be had. Written via Gerald Mahan, a distinctive study physicist and writer of an acclaimed textbook on many-particle physics, Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell is the distillation of decades' instructing experience.
Emphasizing using quantum mechanics to explain real quantum platforms similar to atoms and solids, and wealthy with fascinating purposes, the e-book proceeds from fixing for the houses of a unmarried particle in strength; to fixing for 2 debris (the helium atom); to addressing many-particle platforms. functions contain electron gasoline, magnetism, and Bose-Einstein Condensation; examples are rigorously selected and labored; and every bankruptcy has a variety of homework difficulties, lots of them original.
Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell expertly addresses conventional and smooth themes, together with perturbation thought, WKBJ, variational tools, angular momentum, the Dirac equation, many-particle wave services, Casimir strength, and Bell's Theorem. And it treats many topics--such because the interactions among photons and electrons, scattering thought, and density useful theory--in unprecedented depth.
A helpful addition to the instructing literature, Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell is splendid for a two-semester course.
- The so much concise, up to date, and available graduate textbook at the topic
- Contains the appropriate volume of fabric for a two-semester direction
- Focuses at the description of exact quantum platforms, together with quite a number functions
- Covers conventional themes, in addition to these on the frontiers of study
- Treats in exceptional aspect themes similar to photon-electron interplay, scattering idea, and density sensible thought
- Includes various homework difficulties on the finish of every bankruptcy
Read Online or Download Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell PDF
Similar quantum theory books
Meant for graduate and complicated undergraduate scholars, this article explores quantum mechanical suggestions from the point of view of chemistry and fabrics technology. Dynamics, symmetry, and formalism are emphasised. An preliminary evaluate of uncomplicated innovations from introductory quantum mechanics is through chapters studying symmetry, rotations, and angular momentum addition.
There's an underlying assumption within the social sciences that recognition and social existence are eventually classical physical/material phenomena. during this groundbreaking booklet, Alexander Wendt demanding situations this assumption via providing that attention is, in truth, a macroscopic quantum mechanical phenomenon.
Dimensional and order-of-magnitude estimates are practiced via virtually every person yet taught virtually nowhere. while physics scholars interact of their first theoretical examine venture, they quickly examine that precisely solvable difficulties belong merely to textbooks, that numerical types are lengthy and source eating, and that “something else” is required to fast achieve perception into the procedure they'll learn.
Intersection cohomology assigns teams which fulfill a generalized type of Poincaré duality over the rationals to a stratified singular house. This monograph introduces a style that assigns to yes periods of stratified areas cellphone complexes, known as intersection areas, whoseordinary rational homology satisfies generalized Poincaré duality.
- Quantum Physics: A First Encounter: Interference, Entanglement, and Reality
- Einsteins trojanisches Pferd: Eine thermodynamische Deutung der Quantentheorie (German Edition)
- Supervereinigung: Wie aus nichts alles entsteht. Ansatz einer großen einheitlichen Feldtheorie. - Neuausgabe - (Wissenschaftliche Bibliothek) (German Edition)
- Muon Physics V3: Chemistry and Solids
- K Meson Leptonic Decays: Progress in Nuclear Physics: Volume 12
- Quantum Systems in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology: Advances in Concepts and Applications (Progress in Theoretical Chemistry and Physics)
Additional info for Quantum Mechanics in a Nutshell