By Scott A. Mitchell
Divided into 3 components (Histories; Traditions; Frames), this creation strains Buddhism's heritage and come upon with North American tradition, charts the panorama people Buddhist groups, and engages present methodological and theoretical advancements within the field.
The quantity includes:
- a brief advent to Buddhism
- A ancient survey from the nineteenth century to the present
- insurance of up to date US Buddhist groups, together with Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana
Theoretical and methodological matters and debates lined include:
- Social, political and environmental engagement
- Race, feminist, and queer theories of Buddhism
- Secular Buddhism, electronic Buddhism, and modernity
- pop culture, media, and the arts
Pedagogical instruments contain bankruptcy summaries, dialogue questions, photographs and maps, a thesaurus, and case stories. The book's site presents prompt additional assets together with web pages, books and movies, equipped via bankruptcy. With person chapters which may stand all alone and be assigned out of series, Buddhism in America is the right source for classes on Buddhism in the US, American non secular background, and creation to Buddhism.
Read Online or Download Buddhism in America: Global Religion, Local Contexts PDF
Similar buddhism books
The classical texts of Christianity and Zen Buddhism comprise assets with effective attract modern spirituality. The 'apophatic', or 'negative', may possibly supply a method to combine the conservation of conventional non secular practices and ideology with an openness to event past the bounds of doctrine and of rational inspiration.
The human brain is inherently loose. It neither affirms nor denies. it isn't limited via the clash of the opposites, like correct and mistaken or self and others. An woke up brain is familiar with that the dynamic cohesion among self and others varieties a part of an built-in entire. Having direct wisdom of this brain brings profound peace.
Below the management of Mazu Daoyi (709-788) and his a number of disciples, the Hongzhou college emerged because the dominant culture of Chan (Zen) Buddhism in China through the heart a part of the Tang dynasty(618-907). Mario Poceski deals a scientific exam of the Hongzhou School's momentous progress and upward push to preeminence because the bearer of Chan orthodoxy, and analyzes its doctrines opposed to the backdrop of the highbrow and non secular milieus of Tang China.
Ever because the Buddha's lifetime, humans were attempting to convey the last word that means of Buddhism in a kind that makes entire rational experience. The Prajnaparamita or 'Perfection of knowledge' teachings provide a giddying counterbalance to this workout. rising 2000 years in the past because the core-teachings of Mahayana Buddhism, texts resembling the Ratnaguna-samcayagatha, the Diamond Sutra and the guts Sutra gave new impetus to the right of the Bodhisattva, one whose energies are devoted to the attainment of enlightenment for the sake of all beings.
- Gegen den Strom: Ein buddhistisches Handbuch für spirituelle Revolutionäre (German Edition)
- The Collected Works of Chogyam Trungpa: Volume Five: Crazy Wisdom; Illusion's Game; The Life of Marpa (Excerpts); The Rain of Wisdom (Excerpts); The Sadhana ... Mahamudra (Excerpts); Selected Writings: 5
- Early Buddhist Metaphysics: The Making of a Philosophical Tradition (Routledgecurzon Critical Studies in Buddhism. Oxford Centre)
- Sagesse des contes Bouddhistes: Exercices philosophiques (Sagesse vivante) (French Edition)
- Beyond Thinking: A Guide to Zen Meditation
- The Miracles of the Kasuga Deity (Records of Civilization: Sources & Studies)
Extra resources for Buddhism in America: Global Religion, Local Contexts