By Nicholas D Spencer
Man lubricates quite often with oil. Nature lubricates completely with water. natural water is a bad lubricant, however the addition of proteins, specially glycoproteins, can adjust surfaces to cause them to way more lubricating at sluggish speeds. realizing how nature does this, and the actual buildings concerned, is not just very important for the certainty of illnesses akin to osteoarthritis, but additionally crucial for the winning software of articulating implants, similar to hips and knees, in addition to the improvement of scientific units reminiscent of catheters and get in touch with lenses. a number of significant functions of water-based lubrication are already in position within the own care and meals industries, and additional business functions of water-based lubrication can have an important confident impression at the environment.
This publication is the 1st of its variety. It brings jointly the newest learn in organic and biomimetic, water-based lubrication and is authored by way of the world's specialists within the field.
- Tribology of usual Articular Joints (Rowena Crockett)
- Sticky and Slippery: Interfacial Forces of Mucin and Mucus Gels (Seunghwan Lee)
- Aqueous Lubrication and meals Emulsions (Jason R Stokes)
- Aqueous Lubrication in Cosmetics (Gustavo S Luengo, Anthony Galliano and Claude Dubief)
- Hydrogel Friction and Lubrication (Jian Liu and Jian Ping Gong)
- Aqueous Lubrication with Polymer Brushes (Suzanne Giasson and Nicholas D Spencer)
- Water-Like Lubrication of not easy Contacts through Polyhydric Alcohols (Jean Michel Martin and Maria Isabel De Barros-Bouchet)
- Aqueous Lubrication of Ceramics (Mitjan Kalin)
Readership: educational and business tribologists, fabrics scientists, biomechanics execs, and physicists and chemists with an curiosity in tribology.
Read or Download Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series) PDF
Best textiles & polymers books
"Focuses on distinct research of the formation and homes of linear, planar, and 3-dimensional polymer assemblies stabilized through superamolecular interactions, contains examples of covalently bonded polymers showing novel supra-molecular results. Clarifies the theoretical foundation for the self-assembly of constructions.
The environmental difficulties brought on by petroleum-based plastic and plastic waste have ended in an expanding call for for biobased and biodegradable plastics, equivalent to polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs). those polyesters are synthesized from carbon resources, e. g. sugar and plant oils, through numerous micro organism. This e-book highlights the possibility of plant oils, particularly palm oil, as a feedstock for PHA construction.
The seventy fifth Anniversary get together of the department of Polymeric fabrics: technological know-how and Engineering of the yank Chemical Society, in 1999 sparked this 3rd version of utilized Polymer technological know-how with emphasis at the advancements of the previous couple of years and a significant examine the demanding situations and expectancies of the twenty first Century.
The technical advancements within the sportswear has ended in using useful textiles for highly-specialised performances in several activities. advancements contain thermal and useful homes and covered and laminated outfits. With bio- and clever fabrics offering the sort of powerful concentration within the cloth often, businesses are going for ‘value-added’ textiles, akin to inbuilt sensors which computer screen functionality.
- Durability and Reliability of Medical Polymers (Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials)
- Handbook of Polymer Synthesis: Second Edition (Plastics Engineering)
- Knitting Technology: A Comprehensive Handbook and Practical Guide (Woodhead Publishing Series in Textiles)
- Introduction to Polymer Chemistry, Third Edition
Additional info for Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series)